New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Am I Eligible for An Extension to My Hong Kong Dependant Visa if My PHKID Card Holding Spouse Doesn’t Actually Live Here Now?

May 26th, 2018

Posted by / in Family Visas, Your Question Answered / 6 responses


The Hong Kong Immigration Department grant dependant visas on the basis of family reunion in Hong Kong.


Where, however, the sponsoring spouse is no longer resident in the HKSAR, the question is begged as to whether or not an extension will be available for the sponsored dependant visa holder?


I currently live in Hong Kong on a dependent visa.

For the past two years my husband (a permanent resident of Hong Kong) started to live and work in the United Kingdom because we planned to settle in the UK in the future . Unfortunately he was unable to process a UK visa for me because of uncertainty of  jobs there, which is not possible till now.

My Hong Kong dependant visa is expiring soon so he will come back to Hong Kong for my visa extension.

My question.  Is there any supporting documents needed from my husband because he is staying outside of Hong  Kong?

More Stuff You May Find Useful

Should you ever get married just for immigration purposes?

I have been made redundant but my wife is working – can we swap our employment and spouse visas around so I can become her dependant in Hong Kong?

What type of visa do you think you need for Hong Kong?

Do I automatically qualify for a Hong Kong dependant visa if my partner has a work or investment visa here?

What are your visa options if your marriage has irretrievably broken down in Hong Kong?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Nat

    1 Jan 2020 pm31 1:04pm

    Hi there, it would be great to get your input on this.

    I hold a HK PR and my husband is on a Dependent Visa which expires in May 2020, we haven’t been living in HK for the past year and have relocated overseas. Would it still be possible for us to renew his Dependent Visa for ease in his travelling to HK in the future?

    Or would the immigration officers deny it as we haven’t made HK our home?

    Many thanks!

    • The Visa Geeza

      9 Jan 2020 pm31 2:08pm

      ImmD will ask questions at the time of renewal as to why he has been absent from HK for more than a year and could decide not to grant an extension as you are not resident here presently. The visa need is driven by actual residence in HK and not efficient immigration clearance. You can of course try though.


CommentLuv badge