New Content Daily Sign Up Here


Hong Kong Resident Visa Extension of Stay – Offshore Processing Now Permitted (Temporarily)

December 11th, 2022

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Family Visas, Feature Article, Investment Visas, Sherpa, Special Programmes, VG Front Page / 10 responses



The Immigration Department Accepts Applications for Extension of Stay from Hong Kong Non-permanent Residents Outside Hong Kong (Extended Until June 30 2023)

(Temporary Measures Update)

The Immigration Department has extended the facilitation measure that allows eligible non-permanent residents who are outside Hong Kong to apply for an extension of stay, to June 30, 2023.

Implemented on April 8, the facilitation measure is originally set to expire on December 31.

Now, eligible non-permanent residents who are admitted into Hong Kong under nine immigration policies or schemes, whose limit of stay will expire within four weeks but are presently outside Hong Kong, may apply for an extension of stay before June 30, 2023 under the measure.


Happy New Year Everyone.

Bit of good news just before the new year break:

The Immigration Department accepts applications for return to Hong Kong from Hong Kong non-permanent residents outside Hong Kong under the pandemic.
    Immigration Department (ImmD) today (December 31) announced that in view of the COVID-19 pandemic, Hong Kong non-permanent residents who are currently outside Hong Kong with their limit of stay about to expire/expired may apply for a visa/entry permit to return to Hong Kong.

In general, persons admitted into Hong Kong under various immigration policies/schemes may apply for extension of stay within four weeks before their limit of stay expires. Applicants should be physically present in Hong Kong both at the time of applications and collection of the relevant labels.

Due to the pandemic, if persons (except foreign domestic helpers and imported workers) are outside Hong Kong, with limit of stay expiring within four weeks/expired for less than 12 months, and are not able to return to Hong Kong timely to apply for extension of stay, they may submit a duly completed application form together with the required supporting documents for application for extension of stay under the relevant immigration policy/scheme. They are also required to furnish a letter setting out the details on their inability to return to Hong Kong timely for the extension of stay formalities. If the application is approved, the applicant will be issued with a visa/entry permit for their return to Hong Kong within the validity of that visa/entry permit. For details on the arrangement, please visit the Homepage of ImmD:

For information on the latest quarantine arrangements upon arrival in Hong Kong, please visit the relevant webpage:

Ends/Thursday, December 31, 2020
Issued at HKT 21:20

More Stuff to Help You Along

The perils of contriving a job offer in order to make an employment visa application in Hong Kong

Is there such an animal as a ‘flexible working visa’ for Hong Kong?

How to get a Hong Kong working visa automatically with no questions asked!

Can I study then get married all whilst holding an employment visa for a company I no longer work for?

Is it ever OK to work in Hong Kong on a visitor visa?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • CH

    8 Aug 2023 pm31 1:09pm

    Hi Visa Geeza,

    I unfortunately did not apply for my extension of stay (dependent) in time before it expired while I was overseas in 2022 and I did not know of the special arrangement allowing online applications until now. My question is, can I still apply for extension of stay after my visa has expired?

    Thanks, C

    • The Visa Geeza

      10 Aug 2023 pm31 9:15pm

      We’re going to speak tomorrow.

  • Lyn

    8 Jan 2023 am31 3:24am

    Can i go back to hongkong using my extension of stay card

    • The Visa Geeza

      9 Jan 2023 pm31 12:54pm

      Sorry – I have no idea what you mean?

  • monkeyblonde

    2 Mar 2021 pm31 8:40pm

    Does this affect those who hold HKID with right to abode? Has the three year time limit been extended?

  • Neil

    26 Feb 2021 pm28 10:24pm

    Dear Visa Geeza – Just wondering if you had heard anything about how long the immigration department are taking to process these extension of stay applications for non permanent residents that are stuck overseas ? In my instance they have had my paperwork for almost 5 weeks. Called the extension of stay office multiple times and they literally tell me “we don’t know” when asked the question .

    • The Visa Geeza

      2 Mar 2021 pm31 5:00pm

      Anywhere between 7-10 weeks.

  • LR

    4 Jan 2021 pm31 3:39pm


    I have a HK Work Visa and have to renew it by 7. Jan 2021. First issued 8. Jan 2016
    I’m currently in Singapore and because of the COVID-19 I can’t get to HK.
    is there any way I can apply for extension until I can travel again?

    Kind regards,


CommentLuv badge