New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Hadley Says

What Are the Chances of Swapping from a Training Visa to an Employment Visa For the Same Employer Once the Period of Training is Over?

December 5th, 2012

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Hadley Says… / 5 responses


Many foreign nationals and the companies which bring them to Hong Kong to receive or deliver training on a short term basis, believe that it is possible to go on to change over to an employment visa once the prescribed period of training has been completed.

Yet 99% of all such applications are rejected by the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

Consequently, the training visa should not be construed as a back-door pathway into an employment visa for Hong Kong.

In gaining the original permissions for the training visa, both the sponsoring company as well as the training visa holder himself, made express undertakings as to the rationale for the temporary deployment to the HKSAR and that, once the training is over, the foreign national would leave Hong Kong to go back to what he was doing before his time as a trainee in Hong Kong commenced.

So, you might be able to finagle up to a one year period of stay as a trainee in Hong Kong, but once your time is up, it’s time to leave

Almost without exception!

More Stuff to Help You Along

How a Hong Kong employment visa application can go completely wrong if you don’t know what you’re doing

Your employer must help you secure an employment vis for Hong Kong

The 7 things to tell your employer about Hong Kong employment visa sponsorship

Shareholder in the company employing you – what do the HKID think?

Can I employ myself by getting a Hong Kong business investment visa?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Daniel

    20 May 2019 pm31 11:22pm

    Hi , I have finish my training visa in HK for 6 months and have return to my country of origin. But after returning I feel to continue working there, so I have apply a new position as a full time in the company that I have my training previously. So my question is will the possibility of my new employment visa get approved by IMMD ?

    • The Visa Geeza

      23 May 2019 am31 11:33am

      Maybe, depends.


CommentLuv badge