New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

In Hong Kong is it Possible to Get an Employment Visa to Work For Yourself and Also a Full Time Employer Both at the Same Time?

April 28th, 2022

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Your Question Answered / 3 responses


How can you have your cake AND eat it in Hong Kong – working for both yourself AND also a third party employer at the same time?



I’ve read (or I think I read) that with an employee visa we can transform it to an investor visa with the agreement of the employer.

I don’t find this anymore on the immigration website. Is it right?

What is the procedure to follow (my employer told me he agrees to make what is needed).

Thank you for your help.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Are there any advantages to being an existing resident of Hong Kong when making an application for an investment visa?

Newcomers guide to getting a Hong Kong employment visa (Infographic)

Can I employ myself by getting a Hong Kong investment visa?

Sometimes large employers experience Hong Kong employment visa application refusals – why might this be so?

The merits of applying for the Reconsideration of a refused Hong Kong visa application




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • mak3r

    13 Jan 2021 am31 8:13am

    Hi, I am about to relocate to HK for a full time offer which my company will sponsor my employment visa (under GEP). There were some conversations between me and a foreign company (foreign to HK) about working for them on a part-time basis while I am in HK. I did some research and found there were two legal pathways of going at this,

    1. Being employed as an independent contractor of the foreign company
    2. Form a sole proprietorship to act as consultant for the foreign company

    I’ve gone through your past podcasts and understand that for the 2nd pathway, applying for a so-called side line visa is a must.

    For the 1st pathway though, does the same rule applied?

    Many thanks!

    • The Visa Geeza

      26 Jan 2021 pm31 2:29pm

      Makes no difference. Under your employment visa you are permitted ONLY to work for your sponsoring employer while your feet are terra firma HK. Any work outside of that requires the permission of your employment visa sponsor in writing AND the permission of the Immigration Department BEFORE you engage in any side activities however couched and remunerated


CommentLuv badge