New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What Chance of Approval For A 3-6 Month Intern Visa For Hong Kong & What Documents Are Needed?

February 6th, 2024

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Your Question Answered / 14 responses


What Chance of Approval For A 3-6 Month Intern Visa For Hong Kong & What Documents Are Needed?

Intern visa for Hong Kong? Internships for foreign national students seeking experience in Hong Kong are getting ever more popular…

Intern Visa For Hong Kong



Our company is trying to hire an intern on a short 3-6 months internship.

He holds a British passport.

If he meets all the criteria on the Hong Kong Immigration Website, will there be any chance he will still be rejected for the visa?

On top of it, the government requires the sponsoring company to be a well-established company, capable of providing the proposed training, how can we prove that when we apply for him?

Do you have any tips on helping an intern apply for a training visa successfully?

Many thanks.


Documents Referenced in the PodCast Answer & Needed for an Intern (Training) Visa Application

The Applicant

Application form ID992A

Copy of applicant passport bio details pages

Passport size photograph

Updated CV

Personal bank statement

School Transcript of Academic records

Supporting letter issued by the school printed on school letterhead

The Engaging Sponsor

Sponsorship Application form ID992B

Signed Internship Agreement

Copy of Business Registration Certificate

Certificate of Incorporation

Latest Audited Financial Statement

VisaGeeza.Ai – Making Hong Kong Immigration A Lot Easier

Intern Visa For Hong Kong

VisaGeeza.Ai – 13 Years In The Making

Check Out VisaGeeza.Ai

All Our Know-How : All Our Experience : Fully Interactive

100% FREE!

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

What Are The Chances Of Swapping From A Training Visa To An Employment Visa Once The Period Of Training Is Over?

What Are The Eligibility Criteria For A Hong Kong Working Holiday Visa?

How To Get A Hong Kong Working Visa Automatically With No Questions Asked

Is It Possible For An SME To Sponsor An Employment Visa For A Foreign National Employee In Hong Kong

Sometimes Large Employers Experience Hong Kong Employment Visa Refusals – Why Might This Be So?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • C Chan

    6 Sep 2022 pm30 12:39pm

    A PRC passport holder with an Exit-entry Permit for Travelling and currently on a student visa in the United States with a CPT work authorization, should she apply the training visa if got an internship offer in HK please?

    • The Visa Geeza

      14 Sep 2022 am30 11:17am


  • TT

    1 Apr 2021 pm30 12:29pm

    Hello, i’m indonesian citizenship and planning for applying the intern visa for my compulsory student intern visa in Hk circa february 2022. And if my intern visa will expire on august 2022 because i want to apply my second student intern job, what should i do? Reapply or renew the intern visa before the expiration of the intern visa? Thanks 🙂

    • The Visa Geeza

      2 Apr 2021 pm30 12:26pm

      You have to reapply for a 2nd internship. Visas are issued for on internship at a time and are not transferrable from project to project.

  • Lily

    1 Dec 2020 am31 1:54am


    I’m from USA and I just accepted an offer to work in Hong Kong. HR told me that they would apply the working visa for me under the GEP. Since the interview process took quite long to finish, could I submit updated resume to go with my application or just use the old resume to go with my visa application?

    Thank you for all your help!

    • The Visa Geeza

      2 Dec 2020 am31 10:17am

      Use the updated version.

  • HRF

    12 Mar 2020 pm31 12:14pm

    Hi !

    I’m currently an exchange student at The University of Hong Kong and have accepted a summer internship programme to work for 2-3 months.

    My student visa expires in July and I understand I cannot work on this visa or apply for a Non Objection Letter as I am not a full time non local undergraduate.

    Therefore, how would I go about extending my visa for employment for a short duration ? I am I eligible for the working holiday visa as I hold both a British and Irish passport, however will this not be possible as I’m already on a student visa, residing in Hong Kong. I have been here since September 2019. Is my only option available a training visa or can I extend to working holiday ?

    • The Visa Geeza

      13 Mar 2020 pm31 2:04pm

      My colleague has replied off line. WHV is the way to go.

  • rdmfdcvkjm

    9 Jul 2018 pm31 4:12pm

    How much is the total for the training visa in Hong Kong? and are there any ore expenses?

    • The Visa Geeza

      11 Jul 2018 am31 10:44am

      ImmD fee is HKD190. No other official expenses but you may need to translate any of your documents not in english or chinese into one of these languages and that might cost you.

  • Ainslie

    12 Apr 2018 am30 4:51am

    Hello! I am a US citizen hoping to intern in Hong Kong this summer. It seems like as a US national I’m not eligible for the working holiday visa? The documents I plan to send are:

    • Form ID 992A (with passport-sized photo attached)
    • Passport info page photocopy
    • 1 extra passport-sized photo
    • Official university transcript
    • Letter from school verifying I’m a current student in good academic standing, with basic details of my specific degree program (it’s a specialized professional architecture program, B.Arch)
    • Contract from previous internship at NY office of the same firm
    • US tax form W2s from my previous internship and my on-campus student teaching job (I listed both on pg 3 of the application as “relevant work experience)
    • Updated resume

    Should I include anything else? And is there a chance that I will be denied the training visa? The company is a large, established, international architecture firm, and I’ve worked there in the past. They told me to send them my documents and that they will submit everything together themselves. If I include a bank statement, is there a minimum amount that I should have in there?

    Thank you for all your help!!

    • The Visa Geeza

      16 Apr 2018 am30 9:12am

      This should be enough. ImmD may ask for more but you’ll discover this while your application is ongoing.


CommentLuv badge