New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can the Company You Have Just Left Contact Hong Kong Immigration And Make Your Visa Expire Immediately?

May 30th, 2021

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Special Programmes, Your Question Answered / 8 responses


Contact Hong Kong Immigration and make your visa expire? This question comes up often enough for it to warrant another explanation of the arrangements which prevail (current ImmD practice)…



Dear Visa Geeza,

 I’m under the impression that when you leave a company that has been sponsoring your employment visa or if you are fired, that as long as your visa hasn’t expired you are allowed to stay in Hong Kong and look for new employment.

Can the company you have just left contact immigration and make your visa expire immediately so you therefore lose the right to stay in Hong Kong and look for work? 

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Will my Hong Kong employment visa be compromised if I leave my job due to intolerable working conditions?

Can I use the impending expiry of my Hong Kong work visa as a way to force the early termination of my employment contract?

Does the employment visa change of sponsorship process expressly disclose to my new employer the reason for me leaving my previous job?

I hate my boss and want to leave my job – what about my work visa for Hong Kong?

My employment visa expires before my change of sponsorship application will be finalised – HELP!




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Anonymous

    2 Jun 2020 am30 7:44am


    I have a question. I am an Indian National who moved to Hong Kong on the IANG visa in July 2013 for my studies. I left Hong Kong for 3 months in 2014 to study abroad. I was still on the IANG visa then. I have been on the same visa since then (extension is contingent upon employment) and have been employed since NOvember 2014. My visa is valid till November 2022. I wanted to ask if I need to be employed while making my PR application in a couple of months? Will unemployment affect my application in any negative way. I have paid all my taxes during my time in Hong Kong

    • The Visa Geeza

      4 Jun 2020 am30 10:12am

      Unemployment under GEP/IANG at the time of PR application doesn’t impact eligibility for PR so long as your visa remains valid at the time you apply and at the time your PR is approved.

  • Blue

    15 May 2020 pm31 10:00pm

    I get a Working Visa on 24/10/2019 for 2 years (until 24/10/2021).
    Due to the situation with the Covid-19 the Company terminated my contract end of May 2020.
    Can i keep my privilege to work and to reside in Hong Kong with my existing Visa ?
    I created my own company (limited company) and i’m starting now a new activity by myself as General Manager of my own limited company (i don’t have any employee).
    What are my obligations regarding my Visa ?
    Thank you


CommentLuv badge