New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Apply to Extend My Current Hong Kong Work Visa At the Same Time as I Apply for a Change of Employer?

May 13th, 2020

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Your Question Answered / 2 responses


First Published April 5, 2016

I’ve been asked this question a lot these days so I’m republishing this earlier answer here…

How can you manage an impending Hong Kong work visa expiry challenge with a current employer with the prospect of a wholly new employment looming large?



My first Hong Kong work visa issued under the General Employment Policy is going to expire on August 20th 2016, after one year of permission.

Recently I received a new job offer and I would like to know which is the best way to extend my Hong Kong work visa in your opinion:

  1. ) Online application and extension with the current employer
  2. ) Appointment at the immigration headquarter and extension with the new employer.

Since the new employer is flexible with the contract starting date, I would like to know if I can submit the application whilst still employed with my current employer.

On the other hand, do you think that changing my job immediately after getting my extension approved with my current employer might create some hassle?

Also how much in advance I can submit the application? I would like to submit the application by the end of April.

Thanks for your help

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

How can my FDH visa holding fiance transition into a dependant visa with 6-12 months to run before we get married?

Why do some Hong Kong visa applications take months to finalise (if ever?)

The economy at home is very bad – what investment visa options exist for you in Hong Kong?

Is the Travel Pass as good as a Hong Kong employment visa?

The reality for same sex partner visa applicants in Hong Kong




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Follow Up Q

    10 Apr 2016 am30 1:41am

    Many thanks for your prompt reply,

    On Monday I will resign from my current company and by the end of April I will submit the application to the Immigration Office, with the new company.

    Termination with the current company requires one month written notice, hence my last working day will be around the first week of May. Starting day with the new company is June 1st.

    During May I will be abroad and back in Hong Kong to start my new job.

    I would like to know if there is any issue in staying abroad during May.

    • The Visa Geeza

      10 Apr 2016 pm30 2:59pm

      No, just so long as you are physically present in Hong Kong on the day you submit your change of employer/sponsorship application.


CommentLuv badge