New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What’s The Deal If You’re In Hong Kong With A Dependant Visa & Your Employment Visa Holding Spouse Wants to Leave but You Want to Stay?

August 12th, 2023

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Family Visas, Your Question Answered / 1 response


In Hong Kong With A Dependant Visa & Your Spouse Wants To Leave?

First Published On April 11, 2013 – Still Relevant in August 2023

What’s the deal if you’re in Hong Kong with a dependant visa and your spouse wants to leave but you want to stay?

Consider …

If you find yourself in Hong Kong with a dependant visa and your spouse wants to leave while you wish to stay, it’s crucial to understand the options available to you. Here’s what you need to know:

  1. Dependant Visa Status: As a dependant visa holder, your visa status is tied to your spouse’s visa. If your spouse decides to leave Hong Kong, it may affect the validity of your dependant visa.
  2. Visa Extension: If your spouse leaves but you want to stay in Hong Kong, you need to find an alternative visa option to maintain your lawful status in the city. This could involve transitioning to a different visa category based on your circumstances, such as obtaining an employment visa or exploring other possibilities.
  3. Employment Opportunities: One pathway to stay in Hong Kong independently is by securing employment. If you can find a job and meet the requirements for an employment visa, you may be able to switch your visa status and continue residing in Hong Kong.For further information and guidance, you may find the following resources helpful:

Navigating a situation where your spouse wants to leave Hong Kong while you want to stay can be complex. It’s crucial to understand your visa options, seek professional advice, and take proactive steps to ensure your legal status in the city.



I am in Hong Kong with a dependant visa sponsored by my husband. He is planning to leave his employment here soon and return to his home country but I am thinking of staying for a couple more years.

What happens with my dependent visa (limit of stay in 2014) when he quits his job and leaves?

Can I, too, use my consents to reside in Hong Kong even though only via a dependent visa to look for an employer to then change my visa status?

More Stuff You May Find Useful Or Interesting

What Are Your Visa Options In Hong Kong If Your Marriage Has Irretrievably Broken Down?

Are There Any Advantages To Being An Existing Resident Of Hong Kong When You Make An Application For An Investment Visa?

Extending Your Dependant Visa After Divorce – Is It Possible?

If I Stop Working For My Current Employer Will My Employment Visa Remain Valid?

The 5 Key Factors Which Impact On Your Eligibility For A Hong Kong Employment Visa


Check Out VisaGeeza.Ai

All Our Know-How : All Our Experience : Fully Interactive

100% FREE!





Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.



CommentLuv badge