Hong Kong Visas Made Easy


Nov 2020

What Chance of Approval for a 3-6 Month Intern Visa for Hong Kong & What Documents Are Needed?

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Your Question Answered / 8 responses

Intern visa for Hong Kong? Internships for foreign national students seeking experience in Hong Kong are getting ever more popular…




Our company is trying to hire an intern on a short 3-6 months internship.

He holds a British passport.

If he meets all the criteria on the Hong Kong Immigration Website, will there be any chance he will still be rejected for the visa?

On top of it, the government requires the sponsoring company to be a well-established company, capable of providing the proposed training, how can we prove that when we apply for him?

Do you have any tips on helping an intern apply for a training visa successfully?

Many thanks.

Documents Referenced in the PodCast Answer & Needed for an Intern (Training) Visa Application

The Applicant

Application form ID992A

Copy of applicant passport bio details pages

Passport size photograph

Updated CV

Personal bank statement

School Transcript of Academic records

Supporting letter issued by the school printed on school letterhead

The Engaging Sponsor

Sponsorship Application form ID992B

Signed Internship Agreement

Copy of Business Registration Certificate

Certificate of Incorporation

Latest Audited Financial Statement

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

What are the chances of swapping from a training visa to an employment visa once the period of training is over?

What are the eligibility criteria for a Hong Kong working holiday visa?

How to get a Hong Kong working visa automatically with no questions asked

Is it possible for an SME to sponsor an employment visa for a foreign national employee in Hong Kong

Sometimes large employers expereince Hong Kong employment visa refusals – why might this be so?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:


Nov 2020

Is 7 Weeks a Long Time to Wait For the Hong Kong Immigration Department to Finalize a Training Visa Application?

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Your Question Answered / 2 responses

Foreign nationals can come to Hong Kong to receive training – the question is how long can you reasonably expect the visa application consideration exercise to take?



I recently signed a contract for a 12-month training with one of the biggest insurance companies in Hong Kong. 

My application for training visa has been submitted at the beginning of April, by the visa agency working with that company.

And now I am still waiting for the results.

As for my personal information, I am Chinese (PRC) and I have lived in Germany for the past six years to complete my undergraduate/graduate study.

I obtained my diploma in February this year. I hold a residence permit in Germany renewable each year.

The immigration office has asked supporting documents from the insurance company in the past weeks as well as my future plans in writing.

Now they are in completely silent.

I was told by the agency dealing with my visa application that the junior officers in the Immigration Department could not decide how to proceed with my application.

So the senior officers are looking at my documents. But seven weeks have been passed since the submission of my application until today.

I would like to know whether you have already seen someone spending this long to obtain a training visa and my chance to actually obtaining one from your point of view.

If you have some suggestions to accelerate this process, do not hesitate to give them to me as well! I really need them.

Many thanks for your help!

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

Waiting in the wings – the typical experience of a foreign national spouse in the Hong Kong visa application process

Your employer must help you secure an employment visa for Hong Kong

The 7 things to tell your employer about Hong Kong employment visa sponsorship

Shareholder in the company employing you – what do the HKID think?

Can I employ myself by getting a Hong Kong business investment visa?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:


Nov 2020

Return2hk – Quarantine Travel Scheme for Hong Kong Residents

Posted by / in Feature Article, Musing, VG Front Page / No responses

Fast moving – no experience with it yet – here is the Government blurb …


Pursuant to section 12 and 12A of the Compulsory Quarantine of Certain Persons Arriving at Hong Kong Regulation (the Regulation) (Cap. 599C), the Secretary for Food and Health would specify Guangdong Province and Macao as Category 2 specified places in China with effect from November 23, 2020. She would further specify the conditions for the purpose of section 12(2) of the Regulation.

This Scheme aims to facilitate Hong Kong residents who, upon fulfilment of the conditions specified under sections 12 and 12A of the Regulation, including not having been to places other than Hong Kong, the Guangdong Province or Macao in the past 14 days prior to or upon the day of arrival in Hong Kong, to be exempted from the 14-day compulsory quarantine requirement when returning to Hong Kong. More…

More Stuff You May Find Useful Or Interesting

Paying for Visa Help? The Who’s-Who of the Hong Kong Immigration Services Industry

100% Hong Kong Visa Application Success Rate? Take It All With a Pinch of Salt

The Visa Geeza on RTHK Radio Three

Sign Up for the 100% Free Hong Kong Visa Extension Kit

Sign Up for the 100% Free Hong Kong Visa D-I-Y Kit

Please select the social network you want to share this page with:


Nov 2020

UPDATE: Hong Kong – Singapore Travel Bubble DOESN’T Start November 22, 2020

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Family Visas, Feature Article, Investment Visas, Long Stay & PR, Musing, Refusals & Appeals, Sherpa, Special Programmes, VG Front Page, Visitor Visas / No responses

COVID19 continues apace. Bubble put back at least 2 weeks… I’ll update this post with news as it comes in.


Hong Kong – Singapore Travel Bubble!

The long-awaited air travel bubble between Singapore and Hong Kong will [NOT] start on November 22 with a quota of 200 passengers each way on one dedicated flight per day. It’s a start!

Picture Credit: CX

This will be increased to 2 flights daily from  December 7 onwards.

Visitors to Singapore from Hong Kong have to apply Air Travel Pass (ATP) between 7 to 30 days before entering Singapore and applications opened on November 12.

For details on the Singapore end, see this link.

For FAQs on the Hong Kong end, see this link.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Statistically, what are the chances of your Hong Kong investment visa being approved?

The anatomy of a ‘slam dunk’ investment visa application -taking just 7 weeks to approval

Why do Hong Kong investment visa applications get denied?

The ImmD are out to refuse – not approve – visa applications (aren’t they?)

10 Must Have resources for any Hong Kong investment visa application

Please select the social network you want to share this page with:


Nov 2020

Does the Hong Kong Employment Visa Change of Sponsorship Process Expressly Disclose to My New Employer the Reason For Me Leaving My Previous Job?

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Your Question Answered / 3 responses

This an excellent question which has never come up in this fashion before so I’m delighted to provide the answer!


First Published July 30, 2013


I have just been made redundant by my Australian employer and my last day working in Hong Kong will be August 30, 2013.

My visa permit period extends to the end of next year (November 2014).

I am coincidentally in the final stages of negotiating a new role with a different firm, also located in Hong Kong.

However, I do not want my potential new employer to know that I have been made redundant, lest they use this knowledge to my detriment in the final stages of compensation negotiations.

My question is two-fold:

1. When my new employer eventually undertakes the Change of Visa Sponsorship activity, will they come to know that I was made redundant, or will the forms be silent vis a vis who left whom?

2. Will my new employer know the date I left the current firm, i.e., August 30, or only that I have left it and that I am eligible for a new work visa sponsored by them?

Thanks very much in advance.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

I want to change jobs with a significant reduction in my base salary – how will this impact on my Hong Kong employment visa change of sponsorship application?

What do you need to to do if there has been a change in the details of your Hong Kong employment visa sponsor but no change ion your employer?

What happens if you inadvertently breach your conditions of stay by taking up an unauthorised employment in Hong Kong without first applying for a change of visa sponsorship?

I’ve lost my job – what happens to my Hong Kong employment visa?

Is there such an animal as a ‘flexible’ working visa in Hong Kong?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:


Nov 2020

So, Just What is the Deal With the Right to Land in Hong Kong Anyway?

Posted by / in Long Stay & PR, Your Question Answered / 9 responses

The right to land in Hong Kong impacts quite a number of people here but does not figure much in the general immigration scheme as it is not a status that you can apply for per se, nor is it an immigration status that you can acquire by descent.


The right to land in Hong Kong is available in certain situations which I discuss in the context of this question which popped into my Inbox first thing this morning (and I have assumed the questioner’s parents are Chinese citizens for the purpose of this question).


“Hi, I was born in Netherlands in 1974, but my parents are from Hong Kong. Will I still be able to apply for the right to land? “

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Will you qualify for the Right of Abode in Hong Kong if it is not your intention to live here permanently?

The right of abode for foreign nationals in Hong Kong – when does the clock start ticking?

10 must have resources for a successful permanent residency application in Hong Kong

Will any time you spend in Hong Kong as a visitor count towards the magic 7 years for a right of abode application?

DISCUSSED IN THE PODCAST ANSWER – I am an overseas Chinese and my mother holds a Permanent ID Card and a HKSAR passport so do I have the right of abode in Hong Kong?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:


Nov 2020

Hong Kong Right of Abode for Foreign Nationals – When Does the 7 Year Clock Start Ticking?

Posted by / in Long Stay & PR, Your Question Answered / 10 responses

This question comes up quite often so I’m grateful to this questioner for asking it. The answer is straight forward enough, but in my PodCast below, I set out why the reason it is as it is – and why trying to start your Right of Abode application earlier is essentially an exercise in futulity!


“Hi there – just a quick question.

I know that you need to have lived in Hong Kong for a full 7 years before you can become a PR but actually, when does the 7 years officially begin? The reason I ask is that I lived in Hong Kong for 11 months as a visitor before my first employment visa was granted to me but in all of that time I was properly living here, renting a flat, bank account, my own bills etc. so I just need to know when it makes sense for me to apply for my PR.

Thanks for your help and excellent website!”

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

10 must have resources for a successful Hong Kong permanent residency application

Employment ended – what immigration options do you have to stay in Hong Kong for another 2 years to get your permanent residency?

I have lived in Hong Kong for 5 years – can I extend my work visa for 2 years, quit my job, study full time then apply for the right of abode?

Hong Kong right of abode application – consider your strategy and plan early

Will a break in continuous employment mean a break in continuous residence for the purposes of a Hong Kong permanent residency application?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with: