New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What Does the Hong Kong Training Visa Actually Allow and What Do the Immigration Department Expect of the Parties to the Application?

December 24th, 2020

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Your Question Answered / 6 responses


The Hong Kong training visa is an oft-misunderstood animal so I am grateful for this question that allows me to clear up some of the confusion.



Hi, congrats on the website, it’s very helpful!

I just arrived in Hong Kong and my new potential employer is worried about the following:

(a) That if I finish my 3 month training visa and then just go back home for 2 or 3 weeks but then come back to Hong Kong and look for another job (while on a visitor entry – German passport) then this will reflect badly on his firm’s chances of being granted work visas in the future.

(b) What do the Hong Kong Immigration Department mean by “going back”. Is it OK if I physically go away for a couple of weeks but then come back as a Visitor or on another work/trainee visa?

(c)  Lastly (and separate from the topic above), my new potential employer doesn’t know whether giving me a work visa for 3 months only will be accepted by the Immigration Department if he pays me a minimum amount (e.g HKD 5,000 per month). Is there a minimum at which the Immigration Department would raise some eyebrows? 

Thanks for your help!

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Hong Kong working visas – is it possible to build a new business here relying solely on highly specialist foreign national skills and talent?

Can a Hong Kong training visa be used as a stepping stone to any sort of  full employment visa subsequently?

Is 7 weeks a long time for the Hong Kong Immigration Department to finalize a training visa application?

Is it ever possible to extend a Hong Kong training visa?

What are the chances of swapping from a training visa to an employment visa for the same employer once the period of training is over?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Chloe

    3 Mar 2021 am31 10:06am

    Hi! Can you apply for permanent residency after 7 years of living/working in Hong Kong, with 2 of those years being on a Training Visa and the other 5 being on a Work visa? Thanks!

    • The Visa Geeza

      8 Mar 2021 pm31 10:09pm

      Yes as long as they were back to back

  • S

    25 Dec 2020 pm31 8:40pm

    Is There a Minimum Number of Days You Need to be in Hong Kong in Order to Maintain Your HK Residence under the IANG Visa?

    Merry Christmas & thank you

    • The Visa Geeza

      29 Dec 2020 pm31 12:06pm

      No – but you need an employer at the time you extend and if you’re away from HK for an extended period without an employer (ie, you go home) it could well break your continuity of ordinary residence for PR purposes after 7 years.


CommentLuv badge