New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Foreign Nationals Working in Hong Kong – Getting Married, Changing Visas & the Immigration Status of Children Born Here Subsequently

August 22nd, 2020

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Family Visas, Your Question Answered / 4 responses


So, what are the immigration implications of getting married and then having children in Hong Kong if you are a temporary resident presently holding an employment visa?




Can you please help with a few questions?

1. I am getting married next month and would like to cancel my employment visa through my employer, and change to a dependent visa through my spouse. I would like to remain with the same employer. Is that possible? Would I still require an employment contract with my office (same employer) or would I no longer need an employment contract.

2. If we are married in the US and have a US marriage license, how do I register that in Hong Kong?

3. If two US citizens, living in Hong Kong on employment visas, have their baby in Hong Kong, is that baby now a Hong Kong citizen, or does his/her status follow the visa status of the parents?

More Stuff You May Find Interesting or Useful

So what happens to fiances in Hong Kong now – can they get any kind of visa?

Can I get a Hong Kong dependant visa for my Chinese national wife presently resident on the Mainland?

HELP! All my family are permanent residents of Hong Kong and I’m stuck here as a visitor due to my time spent studying abroad – is there any way forward?

How to establish your bona fides as a non business frequent visitor to Hong Kong

Will the 2 years I spent in China studying break my continuity of residence for the Hong Kong right of abode?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • DL

    4 Oct 2020 am31 1:00am

    So my partner and I are both in the UK, and my partner has been offered a job in HK and sent off his working visa application. They hope to have him out there by the end of November. We’ve been together for 3 years, but understand this is not recognised in HK as a valid relationship. We’ve booked a wedding ceremony for mid November so that I can hopefully follow him out there, but I’m wondering if this will go down well that he got married just before heading out there and subsequently requests to change his visa to bring a dependant. Would it be frowned upon?

    • The Visa Geeza

      8 Oct 2020 am31 11:22am

      No – as long as you can prove your relationship is a genuine one.


CommentLuv badge