New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Do I Need An Employment Visa Even If I Will Be In Hong Kong For Just 2 Weeks To Complete A Consulting Assignment?

January 5th, 2024

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered / 4 responses


Do You Need An Employment Visa For Short Term Work In Hong Kong?

Yes, No, Maybe …

First Published August 29, 2021


A foreign national seeking to come to Hong Kong to work, paid or unpaid, for a long or short duration, requires the permission of the Hong Kong Director of Immigration.

Employment VisaQUESTION

Dear Stephen

Your on-line book is very clear and helpful. I just need to clarify my position – and you must get lots of these type of questions.

I am a UK based one person limited company and have been asked by a major design company with a business based in Hong Kong to undertake 10 – 15 days consulting work in HK – as a one-off exercise.

I will not be setting up business in Hong Kong and will return to the UK at the end of the visit.

Can this be done under the visitor visa and do I need anything additional such as a work permit?

Thank you

UPDATE: Short Term Employment As A Visitor


VisaGeeza.Ai – Making Hong Kong Immigration A Lot Easier

Employment Visa

VisaGeeza.Ai – 13 Years In The Making

Check Out VisaGeeza.Ai

All Our Know-How : All Our Experience : Fully Interactive

100% FREE!

More Stuff You May Find Helpful or Interesting

Why Don’t Immigration Consultants Typically Help Aspiring  Employees Find Jobs In Hong Kong?

Are Short Term Teaching Programmes Delivered In Hong Kong By Non-Resident Educators Subject To Normal Immigration Policy?

What Type Of Visa Do You Think You Need For Hong Kong?

I Will Only Be Working In Hong Kong For 6 Weeks – Should I Bother Getting An Employment Visa?

How Can An Overseas Company Temporarily Sponsor Employment Visa Permissions For Hong Kong?





Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Ca

    22 Jan 2016 pm31 4:44pm

    If the law imputes an employment relationship when one is found in the employers premises, is it risky to teach a demo lesson as part of a recruitment process?

    • The Visa Geeza

      22 Jan 2016 pm31 8:02pm

      The law requires you to have an employment visa to work or discharge a service, paid or unpaid. Teaching without the permission of ImmD is a breach of conditions of stay.


CommentLuv badge