New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What Visa Options Exist Where a Couple Have Met On-line & They Wish to Live Together in Hong Kong?

March 6th, 2021

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Family Visas, Investment Visas, Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered / 4 responses


First Published May 23, 2018

So, what would the Hong Kong Immigration Department make of a relationship forged via the Internet?



Hello, I’m resident in Peru,  South America.

I met a Hong Kong woman by chat; she lives in Hong Kong.

We have been planning for me to go there and stay, only problem is that she’s still legally married.

Which would be my best option to get a permanent visa there so that we can live together in Hong Kong?

Get a job?  Can I be her dependant?

If she gets a divorce I can marry her and get the visa?

Any help or article you point me to read will be a big help.

I have been looking for an answer for a long time and I can’t find it.


More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

What type of visa do you think you need for Hong Kong?

I have an employment visa and want to bring my girlfriend to Hong Kong – options please?

What are your Hong Kong visa options if your marriage has irretrievably broken down and you hold a dependant visa?

I am an independant contractor not an employee – can I get an employment visa as an inter-company transferee?

Extending your Hong Kong dependant visa after divorce




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • justin

    30 Jan 2017 pm31 9:43pm

    i am an indian. i am planning to visi hongkong for 2weeks.meanwhile is it possible to convert my visito visa status to a job visa if i could find a job in hongkong?pleas help me

    • The Visa Geeza

      31 Jan 2017 pm31 8:30pm

      No – you will need to apply for an entry visa outside of Hong Kong.

  • Divorcee P

    20 Jan 2017 pm31 6:33pm

    Currently I am having a legal case (divorce). The next court hearing will be in July 2017. My soon-ex husband is living and working in Shanghai. We are both French nationals and HK PR holders. My daughter (18 y.o.) wants to return to France on May 2017 to study. I want to help her with moving and settle down in France.
    My question is:
    – Can I leave Hong Kong when my court case is not yet finished?
    – Will I be stopped by the HK Immigration from leaving Hong Kong (say, for one or two months. I have return tickets.)?
    – Do I need to inform HK Immigration and ask for their permission to leave HK for one or two months?
    I look forward to hearing your answer. Thank you.

    • The Visa Geeza

      22 Jan 2017 pm31 1:52pm

      If you hold a Permanent Hong Kong Identity Card then none of the three questions above are a concern of the Hong Kong Immigration Department. If the Court has ordered that you cannot leave Hong Kong for any reason then you wont be able to leave. But you need to consult with your divorce lawyer in that regard.


CommentLuv badge