New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

If I Live and Work in China But Have a Hong Kong Employment Visa Can I Get Dependant Visas for My Family?

January 17th, 2024

Posted by / in Employment Visas, Family Visas, Your Question Answered / 2 responses


If I Live and Work in China But Have a Hong Kong Employment Visa Can I Get Dependant Visas for My Family?

Dependant Visas for My Family

To live in Hong Kong requires a place to lay your head here each night. What happens to your application for dependant visas for your family if you don’t have anywhere for them to live?


I have held a Hong Kong employment visa for the last 3 years.

 But most of the time I work in Shenzhen, China.

 I am here with my family  but I am thinking about moving them to Hong Kong finally for good education and other reasons etc.

 Now I want to apply dependant visas for my family: my wife and two kids .

 But I do not have tenancy lease agreement to show residence proof .

Please advise!


The very Bottom line to this question is that in order to get dependent visas for your family to come and live in Hong Kong you need to be able to show that you can put food on their table and a roof over their head.

Now the fact that you have an employment and an employment visa – that will be sufficient for you to be able to show the Immigration Department that you can put food on their table, a roof over their head is mission critical.

And the problem that you’re facing is that because you presently have an employment visa the expectation is that right now you are a resident in Hong Kong because usually, the Immigration Department will not afford resident visas to people who are actually working in China because you need a visa to work in China, not in Hong Kong.

However, you know, they’re cognizant of the fact that a lot of traveling goes on across the border. So in the main, they typically don’t second guess what the residential arrangements are if you’ve got a good Hong Kong employer and your employment in Hong Kong continues.

But in so far as making an application for a dependent visa goes, as an existing resident, and certainly having been here for three years, at the point of making your application for the dependent visa you will need to show that you have got accommodation for your family.

So, in order to facilitate dependent visa applications, my advice is: get to Hong Kong, rent a place, once you’ve got a tenancy agreement, submit your applications for the defendant visas, I think you’ll find that they will be granted to you without too many problems, but you are going to need to have a tenancy agreement for sure.

Okay, I hope you find this useful.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Is 50 Days a Particularly Long Time to Process a Hong Kong Employment Visa Application?

Can I get a Hong Kong dependant visa for my Chinese spouse presently resident on the Mainland?

Am I eligible for an extension to my Hong Kong dependant visa  if my PHKID holding spouse doesn’t actually live here any more?

Can I Remain in Hong Kong as a Visitor After My Employment Visa Expires?

Why public internet forums are a cr@p source of Hong Kong visa & immigration advice


VisaGeeza.Ai – Making Hong Kong Immigration A Lot Easier

Dependant Visas for My Family

VisaGeeza.Ai – 13 Years In The Making

Check Out VisaGeeza.Ai

All Our Know-How : All Our Experience : Fully Interactive

100% FREE!





Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • AM

    25 Jan 2024 am31 10:48am

    Hi admin, hope my inquiry will be answered by your help.this is my case i have my current 7th visa and my sponsor company are having transition location in to his subsidiary company base in china and on that case hong kong site will be shutdown prior to my exact 7th year for my right to abode, im still employed to my current sponsor and my job location will be transfer temporarily to question is will it affect my previlige for residency or application of my right to abode by the time that my sponsor will declare there closure to immigration even thou my curren 7th visa will finished working in his subsidiary site in china?thank you for giving answers on this.

    • The Visa Geeza

      1 Feb 2024 am29 10:47am

      It’s very hard to provide an accurate answer to what appears to be a simple question. If your employment visa runs past your 7 year PR date generally it should not be a problem as long as the full 7 years of your life has essentially been spent living and working in Hong Kong.


CommentLuv badge