New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Hadley Says

Why Applying for a Hong Kong Foreign Domestic Helper Visa for Your Girlfriend is Not a Good Idea

April 10th, 2023

Posted by / in Family Visas, Hadley Says… / 9 responses


Foreign domestic helper visa for your Girlfriend?

Another ‘oldie but a goodie’ post from nigh on 11 years ago. Just goes to show that some things simply don’t change when many do when it comes to Hong Kong immigration! All of this content is being brought bang up to date for inclusion in VisaGeeza.Ai which is taking shape nicely now. More on this once we’re set to launch.

First Published August 8, 2012

So, you’ve met a lovely local girl recently on your holiday to Thailand, Indonesia or the Philippines and you’re thinking about the kind of visa she might get to allow you both to carry on your relationship now that you’ve returned back to Hong Kong.

In these circumstances, you might be tempted into thinking that a Foreign Domestic Helper visa is the way to go.

However, this is not a good idea for very many reasons, not least that you will almost certainly be breaking the law – both of you!

In the process of applying for a foreign domestic helper visa both you and your new beau will effectively be making misrepresentations to the Hong Kong Immigration Department – and this is a criminal offence.

You can, and almost certainly, will go to jail – the both of you!

And when you do get out of prison, unless the you have the Right of Abode, it’s unlikely that you’ll be allowed to remain in Hong Kong – she won’t certainly – and it could well mean the end of your time in Hong Kong.

So, if you’re thinking about such a solution to your girlfriend’s Hong Kong visa problem – please think again – it is just not worth it.

More Stuff You May Find Useful Or Interesting

I have an employment visa and want to bring my girlfriend to Hong Kong – options please?

I want to live in Hong Kong with my boyfriend – is the working holiday visa a viable option?

Will a criminal record impact on your application for a Hong Kong residence visa?

10 Must Have resources for a successful same sex partner visa application

Hong Kong employment and same sex partner visas – a joint application strategy


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.



CommentLuv badge