New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Hadley Says

Can I Get a Hong Kong Dependant Visa for My Chinese Spouse Presently Resident on the Mainland?

April 16th, 2013

Posted by / in Family Visas, Hadley Says… / 5 responses


If you are a foreign national permanent resident of Hong Kong or live in Hong Kong unconditionally you have 2 choices to secure immigration permissions for your Chinese national spouse currently resident on the Mainland to join you in Hong Kong.

Firstly, you can join the 10 year long Q for a One Way Permit for family reunion.

Alternatively, you can secure a PR visa for your spouse in your country of origin and go and live there for a minimum of one year.

Thereafter, you will be able to secure a dependant visa for your spouse and begin your family life together in the HKSAR.

On the other hand, if you hold an employment or business investment visa for Hong Kong or otherwise have been admitted under the quality migrant or mainland talents and professionals schemes then you can secure dependant visas for Chinese spouses presently resident on the Mainland.

This requires an Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Macau and Hong Kong to be endorsed for Hong Kong by the Public Security Bureau in where their household registration is kept in China and is a process which has to be completed once the Hong Kong Immigration Department have issued the dependant visa label.

The Chinese spouse then presents this Exit-Entry Permit upon arrival in Hong Kong.

More Stuff to Help You Along

The vexed question of Hong Kong visas for Chinese national spouses resident on the Mainland

How can Mainlanders establish businesses in Hong Kong under the General Employment Policy?

IT’S OFFICIAL:  The Quality Mainland Migrant Admission Scheme – 77% of all QMAS visa approvals go to Chinese nationals

How flexible is the Admission of Mainland Talents & Professionals Scheme in enabling Chinese nationals to come and work in Hong Kong?

Can I apply for a residence visa whilst I am visiting Hong Kong?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Mike

    21 Apr 2022 am30 11:55am

    Hi there,

    How are you?

    I’m a HK citizen working in Shenzhen.

    My girlfriend is mainland Chinese. We plan to relocate in H2 of this year to Hong Kong for long term residence.

    I have my own business in HK. She has her own business in SZ.

    She may later seek employment in HK some months after arrival but that’s a decision for later.

    We wish to know how to efficiently arrange it so she can come to HK.

    What Visas can she get and which is best? We plan to marry also this year, in case it helps the process.

    Please let me know if you have any questions.

    I’m happy to get on a call as well whenever you wish.

    Thank you!

    • The Visa Geeza

      27 Apr 2022 am30 8:13am

      Very limited options. My colleage Jason Wong will contact you soon.


CommentLuv badge