New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Get A Depedant Visa For An Elderly Parent If I Have a Permanent HK ID Card?

July 9th, 2020

Posted by / in Family Visas, Your Question Answered / No responses


I get 30-40 questions each week and not all of them merit a podcast answer. Some are answered quickly via email and for the next few days I’ll post some of these anonymised replies here.

A Depedant Visa For An Elderly Parent If I Have a Permanent HK ID Card?


My brother is an Indian born in Hong Kong. And he is holding permanent ID card for Hong Kong. Currently he is working in Hong Kong with a salary of HKD15,000 per month, speaking fluent Chinese. But his mother is living in India. She is about 72 years of age with no one looking after her. She wants to join her son in Hong Kong. Please let me know if her son can get her a permanent ID Card. Or any kind of residential visa. To stay with him in Hong Kong.


Your mother can apply for a dependant visa sponsored by your brother. Apart from application form and travel document, they need to show proof of employment, accommodation and financial standing. They have to prove that they have arranged under the same roof in Hong Kong by providing tenancy agreement or proof of ownership. A bank account with deposits covering rental fees of at least one year will be ideal.

It normally takes six weeks to process a visa/entry permit application for residence as dependant upon receipt of all the required documents.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Why would you choose Unconditional Stay after 7 years when the right of abode is available instead?

The merits of applying for the Reconsideration of a refused Hong Kong visa application

How can you establish your bona fides as a non-business frequent visitor to Hong Kong?

Will the Hong Kong Immigration Department extend your visitor visa if you ask them to?

Hong Kong visas – the long stay visitor’s awkward predicament


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.



CommentLuv badge