New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Work Remotely for an Overseas Employer Whilst I Remain in Hong Kong With My Same Sex Partner on a Prolonged Visitor Visa?

June 24th, 2017

Posted by / in Family Visas, Your Question Answered / 7 responses


What issues arise in respect of those foreign nationals in Hong Kong who accompany their unmarried life partners (gay or heterosexual) here on prolonged visitor visas and who are planning to carry on their professions remotely for an overseas employer whilst permitted by the Hong Kong Immigration Department to be present in Hong Kong as a visitor for family reunion purposes only?



Hi there!

Amazing site – thank you so much for all the info.

I’m a Canadian citizen following my partner to Hong Kong (where he will be working as a lawyer).

I will actually be keeping my job in Vancouver but working remotely from Hong Kong.

Is it worth mentioning this in my application or is it irrelevant?

Also, I’m still a little confused as to whether I should apply for the extended visitor visa once I get to Hong Kong or before – could you clarify whether its better to do so after arrival and use form ID91?

Does my partner already need to have been issued his work visa or can we apply at the same time?

Thank you for this wealth of knowledge!

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

The reality for same sex partner visa applicants in Hong Kong

10 Must Have resources for a same sex partner visa application

Hong Kong employment and same sex partner visas – a joint application strategy

Understanding the procedure for a same sex partner visa application

How important are photographs when documenting relationship bona fides in a same sex partner visa application for Hong Kong?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • TT

    18 Apr 2013 pm30 7:49pm

    If you cant be bothered getthing a visa all you need to do is take a 40minute bus or train ride to Shenzhen every 3 months to renew your 3 month visitors visa. I stayed in Hk for 7 years that way on a Australian passport.. Just dont tell you work in HK if the customs offices ask. just say you live there because your parner is there.

    • The Visa Geeza

      29 Apr 2013 am30 11:43am

      This approach is fraught with danger and not recommended. You might have been able to get away with it, but I see several instances each month where it has gone terribly wrong. The Shenzhen Shuttle is not a sustainable way to maintain a ‘residence’ in Hong Kong. Apart from the risks associated with running the gauntlet of ImmD at the border once every 90 days, time spent in Hong Kong as Visitor does not count as ordinary residence for the purposes of an eventual Right of Abode application. It’s just wasted time.


CommentLuv badge