New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

How Can I Convert My Foreign Domestic Helper Visa to a Dependant Visa After Marriage to a Hong Kong Permanent Resident?

March 3rd, 2018

Posted by / in Family Visas, Your Question Answered / 14 responses


Can you swap from a foreign domestic helper visa to a dependant visa whilst in Hong Kong?



My domestic helper, from the Philippines, is married to a Hong Kong Permanent Resident.

Her contract with me expires in April and they want to apply for a dependent visa for her.

Is this possible, what are the criteria and what would be the time line?

Can I extend her domestic helper visa whilst her dependent visa application is being processed, so she is still able to work?

Many thanks

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Are there any realistic long term visa options for FDH’s in Hong Kong seeking to remain here with their boyfriends?

Can children born in Hong Kong to foreign domestic helpers get dependant visas?

Right of Abode for foreign domestic helpers in Hong Kong – it was all so inevitable really

How can my fiance transition from a foreign domestic helper visa to a dependant visa with 6-12 months to go before we get married?

Is it ever possible to convert a foreign domestic helper visa to an employment visa in Hong Kong?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • jessa

    21 Nov 2022 pm30 1:22pm

    Hi, I’m an domestic helper in hk.just want to ask if it is legally to live with my husband after we get married and not live,with my employer ? thanks

    • The Visa Geeza

      23 Nov 2022 pm30 2:46pm

      No, I’m afraid not.

  • Vanessa

    18 Mar 2022 pm31 9:32pm

    Hi sir im a domestic helper .I want to ask is it possible that after the bow marriage I apply right away my defendant Visa in immigration?my marriage day will be March 29,2022 but my employer will cut my Visa on April it possible to stay in hongkong while waiting for the approval of my defendant visa even my Visa will be until april 11,2022?thank u for ur response.

    • The Visa Geeza

      19 Mar 2022 am31 11:34am

      You need to approach ImmD and ask them at the time your FDH visa ends and your depedant visa application is ready for submission.

  • Anna

    6 Nov 2021 pm30 1:22pm

    Hi can i ask i planing to break my contract for my emplyer and my husband planing to apply me for dependant visa is it possible that the immigration give me a extension of stay after finish my 2 weeks of stay.. to wait for my dependant visa thank you so much

    • The Visa Geeza

      6 Dec 2021 am31 9:37am

      Likely no.

  • Jeffrey Mariano

    20 Apr 2020 pm30 8:34pm

    Sir, my friend ask me, can he get a Dependant visa for his wife? He was also a Dependant in H.K. His wife is a Foreign Domestic Helper. They’re married in H.K.

    • The Visa Geeza

      22 Apr 2020 am30 11:01am

      No. A DV holder cannot sponsor a DV.

  • Mrs Ali

    28 Aug 2014 pm31 8:24pm

    Is it possible to apply domestic helper visa together with child?
    Or is there any way that domestic helper can bring along her child in HK. In the case employee is agree to sponser visa to both (helper & her child). How about immigration any possibility?

    • The Visa Geeza

      28 Aug 2014 pm31 11:58pm

      Unfortunately not. Dependant visas cannot be sponsored by FDH visa holders
      The Visa Geeza recently posted..Is It Possible to Change Employment Visa Sponsorship Where the New Employer Has Not Yet Established a Business Operation in Hong Kong?My Profile

    • UFK

      4 May 2021 pm31 6:39pm

      Hi i am domestic helper visa my wife just apply dependent visa but i want to know she is start the work and just apply my visa for job latter because her sallery bank statement will come after 1 month

      • The Visa Geeza

        14 May 2021 pm31 12:20pm

        You can apply at any time – ImmD will ask for many documents and will take their time, including getting to the bottom of her ability to fund you. if she only has one month of recent income they may put your case on hold for 2-3 months more to be satisfied that the income is sustainable.


CommentLuv badge