New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

What Is the Bare Minimum Income & Accommodation Arrangements to Suitably Sponsor a Hong Kong Dependant Visa?

April 28th, 2018

Posted by / in Family Visas, Your Question Answered / 35 responses


Today’s question relates how the Hong Kong Immigration Department respond to requests for dependant visas from permanent resident sponsors, particularly those families who are relocating back to Hong Kong some years after the marriage commenced overseas.



Thank you for your wonderful website!

My wife and I are planning on applying for a Dependant visa for me. She a Hong Kong born and raised native. I am Danish.

We have been married for four years, she is returning to Hong Kong after living in Denmark for four years.

My question has two parts.

Should we file yet, and what sort of income does my wife need to qualify as my sponsor? We don’t want to file now if that means being turned down and creating a poor record and history for us. 

Before moving her Hong Kong Immigration said we could file for a Dependent visa with me on a Visitor visa. But after reading your and other available materials I think I might need to hold off filing because my wife has not yet found what I believe to be a “qualifying” job. 

I have read the approvability test about “above the sustenance level” and have tried to research what does that mean exactly, but it’s still vague to me, and it seems to depend upon ones circumstances.

Right now we have a “roof over our heads”, are living with her mom who owns the apartment. Her family paid off the mortgage years ago.

But I think she also needs a full time job with a specific minimum level of Income to qualify as my sponsor.

At the moment, while she searches for a full time position, she has a temporary part time job for as long as she wants it. She earns $12,000 HKD/month from that.

As far as assets, she has a substantial number of insurance policies with guaranteed cash values, but no bank account savings. She is also is a percentage owner in one of the family apartments.

So my question is, given this financial picture, do we stand any chance of currently qualifying?

If not, what kind of minimum income would be needed to be able to pass the financial approvability test?

Many thanks.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

What type of visa do you think you need for Hong Kong?

How can my FDH visa holding fiance transition into a  Hong Kong dependant visa 6-12 months before we are due to get married?

Do I automatically qualify for a Hong Kong dependant visa if my partner has a work or investment visa here?

Married to a PHKID card holder overseas – the Hong Kong visa situation for the foreign national spouse

How to cure your Hong Kong vise extension headache and make sure it gets approved the very first time!




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Romwel

    18 Nov 2021 pm30 10:31pm

    Hi, i am a HK permanent resident and i am planning to apply dependent visa for my foreign wife.

    We also have a 4 year old kid which is HK permanent resident.

    Since we all are in Philippines now and will submit her application thru Chinese embassy here.
    And we all will travel to HK together if her visa get approved.

    So will there be a problem if I , as a sponsor, am currently not in HK?

    Thank you for your advice.

    • The Visa Geeza

      6 Dec 2021 am31 9:36am

      No this is not a problem.

  • BGW

    2 Aug 2021 pm31 1:40pm

    I am currently in Malaysia, quitted my job here and planning to go back HK with my Malaysia husband. I have no income proof at the moment and going to stay in my parents’ house (with their letter showing that they allow us to stay there without paying rent), May I know how much of fund in my bank account is adequate to show HK immigration to approve my Dependent Visa application ? Thank you for your advice.

    • The Visa Geeza

      3 Aug 2021 pm31 4:13pm

      I assume you are a PR of HK? Broadly you must be able to show that you have suitable income earning potential once you arrive back in Hong Kong and have sufficient means to transition into the workforce and then be able to meet his needs once employed – so it’s a hybrid challenge. Generally savings of 120-150,000HKD is sufficient. Once employed your rent must not be more than 40% of your total income (broadly) and the monthly compensation should be enough to ensure you fall well above the line of minimum self sufficiency. Every application is decided on its own merits.

  • Sam

    15 Jul 2021 am31 10:34am

    I am a full time university student and 22 years old. I want to bring my husband through dependent visa. I am living together with my family in a government house. My dad’s average monthly income for the past 6 months is 22k. We are 5 members in the family. mom, dad, and 2 younger sisters(8 yrs and 12 years). Can I make my father to be the sponsor?

    • The Visa Geeza

      3 Aug 2021 pm31 4:24pm

      No. You must independently be able to support your own family member in a dependent visa application.

  • Jay

    6 Jul 2021 am31 2:16am

    Hi, my wife is a permanent resident of HK. She shares a flat with her aunt. However, the tenancy agreement is not under her name. How can she show proof of accommodation otherwise? Thanks!

    • The Visa Geeza

      7 Jul 2021 pm31 2:38pm

      Show that she’s clearly resident there using other documentation (tax and other official docs her in her name at that address) and is paying rent to the landlord / her aunt (bank transfer docs).

  • Sheila S.

    15 Jun 2021 pm30 1:48pm

    I am applying for dependant visa for me and my 2 children. My husband’s income is 27,000 hkd per month. Can this income be considered as beyond subsistence rate?

    • The Visa Geeza

      17 Jun 2021 pm30 5:25pm

      Yes – subject to your rent not being more than 50% of your 27K income.

      • Sheila S.

        26 Jul 2021 pm31 2:27pm

        My husband is currently live in a rented room so if I want to apply for a visa, does he need to move out to a better accomodation (which fit the 4 of us) BEFORE we can apply?

        • The Visa Geeza

          3 Aug 2021 pm31 4:20pm

          Yes is my best answer.

  • Kirsten

    24 Apr 2021 pm30 5:25pm

    I’m currently in HK on an IANG visa and our rental agreement is under my name only. My fiancé is a HKPR. Can I apply for a Dependant visa as soon as we marry (even though my IANG is still valid for another year), and in this case would the rental agreement be valid as accommodation proof?

    Also any idea how long the validity period of the initial visa is?

    • The Visa Geeza

      26 Apr 2021 am30 11:45am

      Yes that will be acceptable to ImmD. You will get one year initially under your dependent visa, 3 years for subsequent extensions.

  • Keith

    18 Apr 2021 am30 12:45am

    And how long it is possible to be approved?

    • The Visa Geeza

      26 Apr 2021 am30 11:48am

      Dependant visas usually take 6 weeks.

  • Lj

    24 Mar 2021 pm31 2:19pm

    Is a holder of Right to land can sponsor a dependant? And his income per month is HKD13k. Thank you for your response.

    • The Visa Geeza

      29 Mar 2021 am31 10:39am

      RTL can sponsor a dependant. 13K monthly might just be enough but it depends on your rent, your debt and your savings.

  • Hassan

    18 Nov 2020 am30 1:30am

    My wife is hk born and I have 2 child .. my wife sponsor me and children’s what is the income requirement for three visa and what are documents submitted by the sponsor.. how time to get visa ? Thanks

  • SS

    22 Oct 2020 pm31 3:00pm

    am applying a my husband dependent visa before one month agoBut my monthly income is only 8000 rsAnd i have bank balance is 70000
    It is possible for dependent visa

    • The Visa Geeza

      26 Oct 2020 am31 8:50am

      No. You must have income beyond the subsistence rate which is approximately HKD12-14K per month (more if your home rent in HK is more than 50% of this sum).

  • Giri

    16 Jun 2020 pm30 12:53pm

    Hi, I am an expat studied in HK and recently graduated.(Post Grad degree). Now I want to take my wife with me and I am going to apply for IANG Visa as fresh graduate. What should be the requirement? I still didn’t get a fulltime job.Will it be a issue? How much money should I have to have to take my wife to HK for a year.

    Please advise. Thanks.

  • seri

    14 Mar 2020 pm31 5:24pm

    im married a chinese here in Hong Kong, i already got my dependent visa around 3 yrs ago. I have 2 kids in my country which is not my husband’s kid. Im planning to get them also here and apply them a dependent visa. My questions are: How much money do i have in my bank acct or my husband’s bank acct to apply my kids a visa. and who among us can be sponsor? my husband or me(dependent visa). Pls help me with this.

    • The Visa Geeza

      23 Mar 2020 am31 10:24am

      Your husband will have to sponsor. The amount of money depends on each family but you realistically need to be able to show you have suitable accommodation for you all and family income means to demonstrate that you do not have to rely on government coffers to support them.

  • douglas

    4 Feb 2020 pm29 10:59pm

    i have apply my dependent visa nearly 8months .no acceptance letter .all what tell us is on process.

    • The Visa Geeza

      11 Feb 2020 pm29 1:00pm

      Either the application has gotten lost or ImmD are still processing it subject to deep assessment of your bona fides for the visa. Best to check with ImmD directly.

  • Dan

    29 Jul 2019 pm31 12:35pm

    Thanks for the answer! Does anyone know if income of the applicant, such as doing remote freelance work or something similar, would be looked favorably upon by the immigration officials?

    • The Visa Geeza

      2 Aug 2019 am31 10:08am

      It depends on your proven income (via tax returns), funds in your bank account and the cost of your rent vs the monthly income you receive.


CommentLuv badge