New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

How Can I Prove ‘7 Years Residency’ for My Hong Kong Right of Abode Application if I Do Not Have Any Old Tenancy Agreement Copies?

December 10th, 2022

Posted by / in Long Stay & PR, Your Question Answered / 3 responses


How to skin the cat of the ‘missing tenancy agreement’ is an oft-faced challenge in the game of the Hong Kong Right of Abode Application after 7 years continuous ordinary residence by a foreign national intending permanent resident. 


What happens if I am unable to provide copies of my tenancy agreements in support of my Hong Kong permanent residency application?  

I never thought I would still be here for 7 years so I every 2 years I get rid of old documents ie, bank statements, tenancy agreements, utilities etc. 

Also for years 3-7 I was living with my ex partner so the tenancy agreement was in her name or her employer’s name.

What can I do?  Will utility bills be enough? 


More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

How can I regain the right of abode in Hong Kong if I have been downgraded to the right to land?

Will you qualify for the right of abode if it is not your intention to live in Hong Kong permanently?

I have a Hong Kong employment visa to take me through the 7 years but now I’m unemployed – can I ‘cruise’ the last year without working and still qualify for permanent residency?

Will a short period of time away from Hong Kong break my continuity of ordinary residence for my eventual right of abode application?

How to apply for the right of abode in Hong Kong – 10 Must Have Resources




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • PIY

    2 Sep 2020 pm30 10:32pm

    Hi, I am staying in hk with dependent visa and my husband got pr earlier after 7 year staying. I am about to apply for PR as well, but I am having a difficult time to find how to prove my 7year continuous residence in HK, since I wasn’t employed I don’t have any proof by tax, and all important contracts are under my husband’s name. I have used same bank account under my name for the last 7 years. then should I ask a bank to send the bills for entire 7years? Can you please explain how to prove my 7year ordinary residence in HK? thanks a lot in advance

    • The Visa Geeza

      7 Sep 2020 am30 9:38am

      Just complete the forms, file your application and see what ImmD come back with in terms of questions or approval.


CommentLuv badge