New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Case Studies

Winning a Hong Kong Right of Abode Approval in Record Time – Just 4 Days!

June 28th, 2012

Posted by / in Case Study, Long Stay & PR / 10 responses


The Hong Kong Immigration Department come under fire, in our view somewhat unfairly quite often times, when in reality they truly are a customer-focussed governmental agency.

In June of 2012 we had a client who needed to secure his Hong Kong Right of Abode in a hurry. A combination of factors conspired to work against his application being submitted in sufficient time to expect his application to be approved efficiently and quickly.

However, as you will learn in this Case Study from our files, the Immigration Department bent over backwards to assist our client and his application was finalised and approved in just 4 business days case processing time and with just 3 days left before the clock was due to run down on his essential eligibility for a Permanent Identity Card the first time around.

Normally, it takes a minimum of 4 weeks to complete such a Hong Kong Right of Abode application!

Related Posts for Further Reading

The twists and turns of an unusual Hong Kong permanent residency application

Losing the Right of Abode and then using the e-Channels

STOP PRESS – Hilter’s HKSAR passport application has been refused!

Hong Kong unconditional stay vs the Right of Abode for CIES visa holders

Can I swap from a Hong Kong dependant visa to a CIES visa?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Jesse Kan

    2 Dec 2020 pm31 12:59pm

    Any possible defence for one month’s imprisonment under a court order for breach of copyright leading to break in ordinary residence.

    • The Visa Geeza

      9 Dec 2020 pm31 3:35pm

      No. Imprisonment break ordinary residence.

  • DW

    8 Nov 2020 pm30 3:07pm

    Hello sir my question is I stay in hing Kong 6 year under Emplymnt visa. My 7 year was complete in aug 2020 but I’m absent 1 year . But I have my visa until aug 2021. I come to meet my wife in USA. She is USA resident and me too. Suddenly I have accident. So I have to check up every month. So I want to know when I go back Hong Kong I can apply for Hong Kong permanent resident or I have to stay in Hong Kong more then I can apply? I have docter latters. Please give me information about this. Thank you

    • The Visa Geeza

      19 Nov 2020 pm30 12:29pm

      If you are still employed by your employment visa sponsor at the time you apply for PR you may have a chance for approval.


CommentLuv badge