New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Leave Hong Kong to Work Overseas At the Same Time As I Apply for the Right of Abode in Hong Kong?

November 3rd, 2021

Posted by / in Long Stay & PR, Your Question Answered / No responses


First Published April 10, 2014

Can you be both settled in Hong Kong, have taken the HKSAR as your only place of residence, yet go and work overseas all at the same time?


Thank you so much for your wonderfully informative website.

I have a question about the timing of starting a new job working for a non-HK employer and which job is not based in HK, in light of my interest in filing the Right of Abode application.

At the end of July 2014, I reach the 7 year mark required to file the Right of Abode application, and at which time I would have been with the same Hong Kong employer during the whole 7-year period.

I note that I have had a valid work visa since July 2007 and my latest work visa expires end of July 2015.

I also note that I’ve been sent to Singapore on long, albeit temporary, assignments that should not impact the Hong Kong residency requirement for my Right of Abode application.

I am interested in trying other jobs soon.

I have a job offer that is a one year contract for a company (that is in the same industry as my current employer) based in Singapore to work in Singapore.

The company is willing to wait for me to file the Right of Abode application before I start working with them.

Can I start working for the new company, say, a week or two weeks after I file the application (the new company will allow me to visit Hong Kong while the application is in process to fulfill any in-person requirements such as for any interviews) or is it advisable to wait longer or until I actually receive approval for HK permanent residency before I start working for the new company?

How long will the approval process take?  I plan to return to Hong Kong at some point to work after gaining some interesting and different experience at the new company in Singapore.

Thank you very much.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Will the 2 years I spent studying in China break my continuous residence for the Hong Kong right of abode?

So, just what IS the deal with the right to land in Hong Kong anyway?

Hong Kong right of abode application – when does the clock start ticking?

Hong Kong unconditional stay vs the right to land for CIES visa holders?

10 Must Have resources for a successful Hong Kong permanent residency application




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.



CommentLuv badge