New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Will the Hong Kong Immigration Department Extend Your Visitor Visa if You Ask Them To?

August 6th, 2019

Posted by / in Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered / 27 responses


I have received 2 questions on the topic of ‘long stay’ visitor visas and the extension possibilities in the last 24 hours so am taking the opportunity to merge them into a single answer here.


“Hi, I think I could use some of your quality advice. My situation seems to be quite complicated, so I will keep it as simple as possible.

Last year, I moved to Hong Kong between October and March. I obtained a 6-month training visa for this period. Between the end of March and June, I traveled around Asia and returned to Hong Kong for a week during the beginning of June (on a visitor visa). I then returned home to Europe, where I decided that I wanted to move back out to Hong Kong in search of a permanent position (and live with my sister in the meantime). I have now been in HK since the 16th of August (approx 75 days) and therefore I am nearing the end of my visitor visa. I still have not found a job, therefore I have to go about renewing it. 

I would like to know from you, what you would do in my situation for the renewal of my visitor visa. I have heard that I can do a quick return trip to Macau or that I can submit a demand to the Immigration Department and request another 90 days. What method would you suggest?”


“Hi Visa Geeza, I’ve got a question. For the past two years I have stayed in Hong Kong for over 500 days (in and out of Macau every three months/90 days) and now I’m wondering how long I can pull this off without raising red flags. I am not employed in any way and have just spent my days with my daughter who’s studying at university here.”

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

The long stay visitor’s awkward predicament

Is the ‘Shenzhen Shuttle’ a good way to extend your visitor visa?

Is it possible to get an extension to my visitor visa to stay with my girlfriend here?

Can I come to Hong Kong as a visitor, find a job then change to an employment visa?

Will any time spent in Hong Kong as a Visitor count towards the magic seven years for the right of abode?



Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Ernest

    3 Jul 2022 pm31 2:47pm

    Hi I was in HK for the last 5 years and recently lost my job due to redundancy in 6 weeks before my visa expiration. I am in the process of applying for the new jobs and went recently to Immigration department to get an extension on a visitor status, however got it only for 1 month. I am pretty sure that I will land a job soon, however it might take more then 1 month. Any advice on how to convince the Imigration department to give me full 3 month extension, I have listed all the reasons in my letter to Immigration department and requested 3 months (German passport) however still only got me 1 month.

    • The Visa Geeza

      5 Jul 2022 am31 10:02am

      They wont give you 3 months. Policy. One month max. You will need to extend your visitor status every 30 days. Be aware though that your interim visitor situation will likely break your 5 years continiuty of ordinary residence for PR purposes.

  • Simon

    11 Nov 2020 am30 3:59am

    Hi I am currently in HK as a visitor (Canadian passport) been here since March 10 and extended 3 times successfully (90 days + 60 days extension + 60 days extension + 45 days). However, the last time I extended the people at Immigration Tower told me that this would be the last time and that I would need to leave HK by the end of the last extension (Nov 21).

    Any ideas on how I can remain in HK? I do not want to go back to Canada as the COVID situation is pretty bad over there, and also I am in a long term relationship with someone in HK.

    • The Visa Geeza

      19 Nov 2020 pm30 12:13pm

      You just have to apply as you’ve done previously and wee if they will play ball.

    • JohnDoe

      8 Dec 2020 pm31 4:12pm

      Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you. I came to HK in March to be with my girlfriend, managed to extend my visitor visa a few times (with 2 months each time), but the last time I was told to leave asap and got my extension for 1 month only.

    • Richard

      21 Dec 2020 pm31 6:18pm

      I’m in the same boat too! Did you extend your visa successfully the fourth time?

      • The Visa Geeza

        22 Dec 2020 pm31 12:15pm


  • Adrian

    2 Nov 2020 pm30 3:43pm

    Hi, what is the likelihood of getting a visitor visa extended due to my country back home being in lockdown? The form for extension asks for evidence to support. What would be best for me to provide? Thanks.

    • The Visa Geeza

      7 Nov 2020 am30 11:40am

      A good chance. You need proof of covid status in your home country, proof of funds to stay for another 6 weeks in HK and also accommodation during that time.

      • Simi

        12 Nov 2020 pm30 5:51pm

        Thank you for your help in answering these questions. I was wondering if as a canadian you get 3 months as a visa extension?

        • The Visa Geeza

          19 Nov 2020 pm30 12:12pm

          No. Under COVID you can presently expect 4 weeks.

  • Harry

    3 Sep 2020 pm30 2:54pm

    Thanks for your answering. May I ask if I should directly write to ImmD or I should ask my Uni to do that?

    • The Visa Geeza

      7 Sep 2020 am30 9:37am

      You do it with a supporting letter from the Uni.

  • Harry

    22 Jul 2020 pm31 11:46pm

    My student visa state that it’s good for presentation on or before 9 October. But due to Covid 19, now my University has adopted online-taught method for the entire semester. Is it possible for me to extend my presentation deadline?

    • The Visa Geeza

      27 Jul 2020 am31 11:03am

      Yes – you need to write to the approving ImmD officer 1-2 weeks before visa label expiry and seek to reissue the visa label for activation in the following 3 months.

  • Myann Borra Buendicho

    30 Mar 2018 am31 5:43am

    i have found an employer to hire me as full time and is willing to sign a domestic contract with me to work with her family and she is willinng to sponsor my visa. How is the chances for me after being overstayed for 6 months?

    • The Visa Geeza

      31 Mar 2018 am31 8:42am


  • Myann B. Buendicho

    30 Mar 2018 am31 5:38am

    Hi can you tell me about my chances of going back to hong kong as a domestic helper after overstaying My visit visa as tourist for 6 mos.?

    • The Visa Geeza

      31 Mar 2018 am31 8:43am



CommentLuv badge