New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Hadley Says

Hong Kong Investment Visas & Joseph Heller – What’s the Connection?

May 1st, 2012

Posted by / in Hadley Says…, Investment Visas / 3 responses


If you’re in Hong Kong as either a Visitor or a resident and you want to start your own business you need to make an investment visa application at the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

But there is a Catch 22

It goes like this:

– You cannot join in a business until the consent of the Hong Kong Immigration Department is secured.
– You can’t secure the consent of the Hong Kong Immigration Department without showing contribution to Hong Kong.
– You can’t show contribution to Hong Kong without joining in a business
– You cannot join in a business until the consent of the Hong Kong Immigration Department is secured!

The Hong Kong ID understand this problem and will help you with it.

What they do is encourage you to apply for your  investment visa right at the very start of your business not later on after ‘it’s all moving forward’.

If you don’t apply at the outset, they could choose to prosecute you.

So best to apply early!

More Stuff to Help You Along

How to ensure you are not breaking the law by operating your Hong Kong business as a visitor

Is it better to apply for your residence visa before or after you arrive in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong investment visas – what’s involved?

How to apply for a Hong Kong investment visa without any professional help

What happens if you inadvertently breach your conditions of stay by taking up unauthorised employment in Hong Kong?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.



CommentLuv badge