New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Case Studies

Hong Kong Permanent Residency Approval With 2 Year Absence From Hong Kong!

February 5th, 2017

Posted by / in Case Study, Long Stay & PR / 20 responses


First Published: December 8, 2013

This case study details a Hong Kong Right of Abode application where our client had, due to ill health, unexpectedly spent more than two years away from Hong Kong during the 7 years of continuous ordinary residence needed to lawfully establish permanent residency in the HKSAR.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Winning the right of abode in Hong Kong in record time – just 4 days!

The twists and turns of an unusual Hong Kong permanent residency application

User-friendly templates for a Hong Kong right of abode application

How can I prove 7 years residency for my Hong Kong right of abode application if I do not have any old tenancy agreements copies?

How to apply for the right of abode in Hong Kong without any professional help – are you truly settled in Hong Kong?


Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

  • Niteesh

    20 Feb 2017 pm28 10:14pm


    I want to apply for PR –

    1. I have stayed in Hongkong for 5 years from May 2007 to July 2012 after which I had to move to Singapore for work
    2. I have owned a property in Hongkong since early 2011 and have continued to pay tax on my rental income
    3. I currently have a HK work visa as I still frequently travel to HK for work- my old HK ID card has been working without any issues so far as well.

    Could you advise if I can apply for PR status? I am travelling to HK again this Thursday and Friday and will be happy to meet if you could advise on the same.


    • The Visa Geeza

      24 Feb 2017 am28 10:07am

      Complex. You’re best off coming in for a professional Consultation when you’re next in HK.

Leave a Reply to Niteesh Click here to cancel reply

CommentLuv badge